Friday, May 29, 2009

Man oh Man, is summer my favorite time of the year because now I'm reading an average of 4 books a week so I've got lots to write about!

The Immortals Quartet by Tamora Pierce - I know I mentioned in a previous blog that if you enjoyed the Alanna and Trickster books, you should just go ahead and read all of Pierce's books and I was going to leave it at that, but I feel the need to post this. The story opens up when 13-y/o Veraldaine Sarrasri, Daine for short, runs away from home and is given a position working for the horsemistress of the Queen's Riders (combat group formed by Queen Thayet of Tortall). What most everyone, including Daine herself, mistake as a keen affinity with animals is really wild magic, a rare brand of magic. Daine has it quantities that have never before been seen, allowing her to communicate and understand animals, and later, shapeshift at will into any creature she desires. Daine's abilities make her invaluable to her monarchs and kingdom, and with her mage teacher, Numair Salmalin, she embarks on many adventures that will help change the course of events for her kingdom, bring her face to face with Immortals from the Divine Realms and also help reveal the strange origins of her birth. This is a great coming of age story filled with adventure, humor, friendship, and blossoming self-awareness that will really keep you turning the page well into the night. I'd have to say, after the Song of the Lioness Quartet, the Immortals was totally my favorite and I really loved the characters of these particular stories. Be warned, if you get the first make sure the second is within reach because you'll want it immediately!

***** 5 stars

Quartet Includes:
1. Wild Magic
2. Wolf-Speaker
3. Emperor Mage
4. The Realm of the Gods

No comments:

Post a Comment