Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New book, new review!

Evermore - by Alyson Noel. When Ever survives the car crash that takes the lives of the rest of her family, she returns back to the living with strange new abilities. She is able to 'read' peoples' auras and hear their thoughts (I know, I know....Edward you started this all!). Once the most popular girl in school, Ever now dresses in oversized clothing, dark sunglasses, and loud earbuds to drown out the voices and retain some anonymity. A strange new student in an unfamiliar school, Ever's life has taken a nose dive for the worst - until the super sexy, dark Damen shows up. He's everything a girl would want - rich, good-looking, kind, and best of all, he makes the voices in Ever's head go away. But Damen is not your average guy, and there's more to him than meets the eye. What is it about him that causes the supernatural abilities Ever has to stop working? Soon Ever's world is turned upside down as she tries to cope with the truth about Damen, and her very own existence.... Ok, I have to be honest, not the best book I've read . It seems that now I'm reading a string of 3 stars to counter all the 5 stars I reviewed when I first started this blog. What didn't I like about it? RUSHED STORY! Like previously stated, this could've been a really great book, the concept was really cool and it took the supernatural to a new level (aka not a Twilight rip-off). But the romance was rushed, there seemed to be no reason why Ever was suddenly in love with Damen, and in terms of the bad guy, that definitely could've been fleshed out a bit more in order to create a more satisfying ending. One other thing I didn't like was the immature language of the writing - which I promptly realized was characteristic of Noel's writing, since previously she had only published teeny bopper stories about girls in Laguna Beach, etc etc. All in all, I was glad I read it, but I really don't understand what some of the hype was about (in every bookstore this was featured in the teen section as a must read). It was, on a very basic level, entertaining, but lacking in any real substance. I may possibly check out the sequel (due out this July), but only if I can't find anything else to catch my attention.

*** 3 stars

'Evermore' is book one in Noel's "Immortals" series - I believe book two is called "Blue Moon"

No comments:

Post a Comment